Saturday, September 1, 2012

My Block in Morogoro


My block (written mid July)

So over the past 9 weeks or so, I have been living with a homestay family, as I’ve mentioned before.  The house is about 100 meters away from the main road.  Every day I pass by numerous houses and two small shops (known as “dukas”).  A while ago I made friends with the owners of one of the dukas.  Afterward, almost every child I pass by knows my name.  Whether I’m walking by myself or with some of my other PCT friends, I hear calls of “Amy!”  Or more accurately: “Emi.”
            Now, one day I was carrying some buckets back from our class to use for my water filter at homestay.  As I got somewhat close to the house, a little girl darted up and took the buckets from me.  Granted, they were empty and not heavy, but she insisted on carrying them for me the whole way home.  Other kids swarmed up and tried to take my bag, which happened to have my laptop in it.  Since I’m paranoid, I didn’t let them take that, but they were genuinely disappointed that they didn’t get to help me carry everything.
            Besides wanted to carry my things (which is very common in Tanzanian culture), the kids will greet me with the typical “Shikamoo.”  This is a greeting used with elders, meaning anyone who is older than you.  Students use it with teachers, kids use it with teenagers, old folks will use it with older folks.  It’s just a way to acknowledge that you are older but also deserve respect.  It’s more common in some areas rather than others, but is even used in families.  I would greet my host mama, her older sister, and my host baba (father) with “Shikamoo” every time I would see them.  Age is something that is very respected here.
            With that being said, so are titles.  So it was particularly hilarious to me when the neighborhood kids started greeting me with “Shikamoo, Mzungu Amy” (literally greeting me as an elder foreigner and my name).  Look at me!  They actually know my name but still call me “Mzungu” (foreigner)!  

1 comment:

  1. Does that mean that you will not make fun of your poor old father when you return? Okay, I would miss your teasing.

    ReplyDelete