Sunday, August 11, 2013

Ramadan in Tanzania


Ramadan
So the holy month of Ramadan just came to an end.  Muslims all around the world spent the month praying, fasting, and reflecting on their beliefs.  To be honest, I do not know the intricate details of everything that goes into Ramadan, so some of the things I write may not be 100% correct.  I may be sharing information I thought I understood that someone explained to me in Kiswahili, but it’s entirely possible that I didn’t fully understand (silly language barriers).  Please realize that as with every religion, traditions and interpretations vary a great deal, but the ones I’m going to write about are my personal observations.
As I currently live in a predominantly Muslim community, it’s been interesting to see how my beloved villagers have been celebrating and the various traditions they have. The most obvious and universal one is that people who are able to will fast (children less than adolescent age, pregnant women, elderly people and people who are sick are all not required to fast, though some choose to).  No swallowing anything (water, food, saliva, medicine) during daylight hours.  Many adolescents are excited when they are able to participate in the fasting, and my impression is that it’s a kind of right of passage into adulthood.  It’s a big deal to many of my neighbor kids, as they burst with pride saying they get to fast!
My neighbors explained that they are supposed to wake up at 3 or 4 in the morning in order to eat.  After sunrise, they can’t swallow anything.  People continue working as they would normally (go to school, work in the fields, open their shops) but there are still many things that change.  In fairly Muslim areas, little shops that usually sell tea, food and such will be closed.  The owners are probably Muslim, or they won’t get any business even if they are open, so they might as well be closed.  It is almost impossible to find food during the day in places like Zanzibar that are overwhelmingly Muslim.  Entire villages, towns, and even cities seem to be dead.  It’s kind of eerie, honestly.  Places that you’re used to bustling and being crazy are suddenly like ghost towns.  In my village especially, people are tired and not as active (understandably so!).
Then there’s the actual breaking of the fast.  From what I’ve heard from a few others, Tanzanians have pretty different food for breaking fast than a lot of that found in the Middle East.  However, here, the general label for this food is “futari.”  It’s usually something soft.  My favorite is the stew that’s made from boiled taro root and potatoes.  Plain pasta (sometimes flavored with sugar), sugar cane, porridge spiced with pepper, cucumber…these are all things I’ve eaten when with Tanzanians while breaking fast.  Though each family differs a little, I’ve noticed that the potato and taro root stew as well as porridge are pretty standard everywhere.  During this last week when I was in Korogwe for training with the newbies, there was a whole strip of tables set up in the road around dusk with mamas selling food for breaking the fast.  One mama came to like Jeff and me a lot, and we ate at her table pretty much every night.  She would give us a heaping plate full of Futari for 1000tsh (like 66 cents), then a cup of porridge (known as uji, and surprisingly spicy with the pepper) for 100tsh.  We would joke around with her, and she thoroughly seemed to enjoy having the two foreigners hanging out with her every night we were there. 
            During Ramadan I tried to participate in the fasting while in my village.  I didn’t do everything correctly, I think.  I wouldn’t wake up at 3 or 4 (I like my sleep!), but would eat and drink before 7.  After 7 I wouldn’t eat or drink anything until around 6:30 or 7.  While I was at school and distracted with working, it wasn’t too bad.  I would get home around 5:30 from school anyway, so I had enough time to make up food for myself.  It was when I was in my village on the weekends with free time that it was much harder!  Fasting with my villagers made me feel better when I would go around my village saying hi to people, as many exclaimed in surprise and joy at Madam trying to fast with them.  I was only a village faster, though.  When I was in town, I was bad and didn’t fast, as it was hard for me to eat before 7 without being able to cook for myself.  But my community still seemed thrilled at my attempts to participate with them.
            After nightfall, kids would go around the village, banging on drums (actually they were usually buckets – yet another use for them) and singing.  They go by people’s homes and ask for small presents (money or sweets.  I gave them bananas).  I had kids come by my house a few times, but I only gave them something once, because in my village, when I give someone anything, I usually have a flood of people come by who had heard I gave a person something.  I know it’s selfish, but I don’t have enough sweets, money or anything else to give to EVERY SINGLE village kid who comes by my house.
            The end of Ramadan depends on the sighting of the moon at the end of the lunar month.  The little sliver of moon is something people look for, excited for the celebration that is Eid-el-Fitri (spelled Idd or Iddi with Tanzanians).  People eat pilau (spiced rice cooked with meat, quite the treat when villagers usually can’t afford to eat rice), spend time with friends and family, go to mosque, and dress in their finest.  The clothes that women wear for Iddi are amazing!  So many colors, new materials, beautiful fabric for headscarves – they all come out dressed to the nines.  Many people in my community invited me to come for the holiday, but I unfortunately wasn’t able to be in my village.  I was helping Peace Corps do some training for the new trainees that arrived, and spent the whole week, including Iddi, doing work for Peace Corps.  When I went to tell my favorite neighbors that I would be gone for a week, Mama Zawadi began to cry and asked “You won’t be here for Iddi?  But who will you eat chicken with?!”  She was really upset I wasn’t going to be there for the holiday, and I hadn’t realized when I agreed to do the trainings that it was during the biggest Muslim holiday.  Hopefully nothing will keep me from my village for the next one, though, so I’ll look forward to that.
            On the actual day of Iddi, Peace Corps had a few trainings in the morning, then gave everyone the afternoon off.  Jeff and I had an easy day, during which we just kinda hung out.  At one point we were going to get some yogurt (quite the treat for us!) and passed by some mamas, who asked where we were going to eat pilau.  We told her that we didn’t know if we could buy it somewhere.  One mama told us to wait, then came rushing over with plates full of pilau for us.  We were touched that they were sharing their personal celebration meal with us, and ended up buying everyone a soda.  It was super sweet and kind that even though they didn’t know us, they still were so welcoming.
            Now that Iddi is over, things are returning to normal.  People have more energy, shops are open, and it’s ok to eat and drink in public again.  I have a new appreciation for the amount of faith and dedication that Muslims have for fasting for an entire month.  It’s not hard doing a few days, but it gets fairly difficult toward the end.  I’m glad I got to take part, even though I don’t personally identify with a religion.  For me it was more of a community experience instead of a religious one, but I’m happy that it helped me integrate even more with my welcoming village.

No comments:

Post a Comment