Thursday, May 2, 2013

RPCVs

After finishing your Peace Corps service, you become an RPCV (Returned Peace Corps Volunteer).  At the moment I am a simple PCV (an adorable little Peace Corps Volunteer who you all love despite my obvious lack of modesty) but that does not mean that I don't run into RPCVs or even PCVs from other countries.  Regardless of where people served or how their experiences differed or when they actually served, there is a wonderful sense of community.  It is quite extraordinary and something I have come across several times.
      For example back in December I was in Moshi for the holidays.  Moshi is close to Mount Kilimanjaro and is a base for many safari companies.  As a result, an extraordinary number of tourists are in the area. One day while in town, some friends and I went out to dinner at a little Indian place.  When one of the girls went to pay, the waitress told her that it was paid for.  This led to general confusion until the waitress pointed over at a bearded man sitting at another table.  He was with a woman and another man. The bearded man waved at us and said "I was a PCV."  We went over to talk to them and thank them for paying for our dinner (it was not an expensive place but there were eight of us total so it was a surprise and quite kind, especially since PCVs aren't exactly rolling in dough). It turns out the bearded man and woman had served in Chad before it was too dangerous too keep PCVs there.  They went to South Africa with Peace Corps then got married.  They are now in the DRC teaching at an international school and were in Tanzania as tourists.  They were super nice and reassured us that there actually are jobs and opportunities for RPCVs (a common fear for many of us when we think about reentering "the real world").  We left them but all were quite happy.  The biggest thing I remembered was them brushing off our thanks by saying "Just pay it forward when you become an RPCV."
       Before I left the U.S. I spent a lot of time with an RPCV from Cambodia.  Rebecca was hilarious and shared loads of advice for living in a third world country,such as: just because there are big snakes that doesn't mean you're going to die. (Dont you worry, Mum, it is WAY to cold in my village for snakes.  Plus Cambodia has a few more dangerous snakes than Tanzania I think and Rebecca was terrified of snakes anyway)  Besides advice, Rebecca also gave me a lightweight sleeping bag just before I left, something that has been incredibly useful, like when a house has 25 volunteers and sleep space and blankets are few.
       Back when I did my first summer of the Wyoming Conservation Corps, one of the other crew members had served in Malawi a few years before.  Mike was super patient and answered all my questions about Peace Corps and about his experiences.  Back then I knew I wanted to go to Africa (what can I say, I am soo good at setting my mind to something and making it happen) so it was freakin awesome to have an RPCV working with me all summer that I could drill.  I was annoying but Mike humored me and was someone I told right away when I got my placement.  In the spirit of "holy crap it really is a small world," one of the directors of PC Tanzania actually worked with PC Malawi when Mike was there and remembered him.
      One of the most influential RPCVs in my life is Sandy.  She served in South America but I didn't meet her until my family and I lived in Germany and Sandy taught my 9th grade P.E. class.  She did Peace Corps then Crisis Corps (where people who finish their service can extend their servuce and help in another area.  Now it is called Peace Corps Response) and has since then been hopping around the world, teaching at different international scchools.  When I returned to Germany for my college study abroad, Sandy was teaching in Tunisia in Northern Africa.  I decided I probaby would never know someone in Tunisia again, so I contacted Sandy and went to visit her in the capital Tunis.  Not only did I get to see another amazing country, but I got to hear even more stories about Peace Corps.  Sandy was super supportive and and encouraging, saying she would write me a recommendation should I need it.  She was one of the people who I made sure to tell as soon as I got my invitation to join.  I dont know if Sandy realizes how much of an influence she has had on me, but I have kinda based my life travel goals (and work goals of teaching at various international schools) around her.
       Another great RPCV is someone I met when I first got to my beautiful site.  Erza only had a few more months left of his service when I arrived, but he gave us newbies advice, introduced us to people around Lushoto, gave us stuff like books and pans when he left, and most importantly showed us the best chipsi mayai in Tanzania.  Right now he is traveling around the world on crazy adventures but he sent us Lushoto folk a care package with wonderful things like drink mixes and frosting. (PCVs are easy to please)  We miss him and happily remember him but are happy he finished his service and can now legally ride motorcycles, unlike the rest of us.
       One of the most recent examples of an RPCV passing on the kindness we all appreciate is Dan.  My lovely mum works at an assisted living/retirement home where my awesome grandpa is currently living.  Mum started a fundraiser for my school, which has contributed so much to kids who dance with excitement at getting a piece of candy and pencil.  One weekend when I went to my post office, I had a letter and package from Dan and Sheryl.  It turns out that Sheryl's family is living at the home and during a visit Dan saw a box labled "Peace Corps donations" that Mum had set up.  He then sent me a box full of supplies and a letter with a great picture of the snowy Colorado mountains.  He explained that he served in the 1960s (I left the card at home so maybe it was the 1970s, I cant remember) in the West Indies.  I was truly blown away.  Here is a man who has never met me but was giving enough to contribute to my school, just because we both are/have been involved with the same program.  I was so happy and surprised, it was the best trip to the post office yet.
       Overall I just have to say that Peace Corps has created a community that is wildly supportive of volunteers currently serving.  It is something I am proud to be a part of.  There are many more people involved with Peace Corps I am sure I didn't mention but they are still wonderful even if I am spacey and forgot.  But one conclusion I've made is that I really have to pay it forward a lot once I'm an RPCV lest kharma slap me upside the head!

No comments:

Post a Comment