Saturday, July 28, 2012

Religion Class Music



So when I found out I was coming to Africa with the Peace Corps, I was excited about a great number of things.  One of the many was music.  I imagined lots of drums and pretty much the Lion King all the time.
Well, unfortunately, that's not what Tanzania has a lot of.  Yes, there are some drums, but most music that Tanzanians listen to is a weird mix of reggae, tambourines and some other stuff.  Overall I’m not much of a fan.
Then our internship school had their Thursday religion classes.  Students split up based on whether they are Christian or Muslim, and met in different classrooms.  The Christian classes sang a great deal, prayed occasionally, and always returned to song.  It was the first time I felt that I was listening to the music I expected to hear when in Africa.  I’m attempting to upload some videos so that you can get an idea, but it was wonderful to have our Kiswahili classes with the background noise of singing children.
This particular song was recognized by one of my fellow PCTs and she said that it's "Walking in the Light of God."  They sang most of it in Kiswahili but switched over to English occasionally.

5 comments:

  1. Can you translate what they're singing. It was the kind of African music I would want to listen to too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there a notated written copy? its good to have a version sung so I know how to say the words... Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! What are the Muslim classes like? Singing or mostly prayer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will your address be the same once you move to Mlole and then the PC brings it to you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so enjoyed the "clip" and your blog; love that music!!!

    ReplyDelete